Monday, December 22, 2008

Down To The Wire

I have been very busy with Life lately, so I have not had as much time for knitting. However, I really fell in love with Kim Hargreave's Calm and wanted to make it to wear to one of my family's Christmas parties. I started it and stalled, started and stalled. Last Tuesday, I finished one of the sleeves at my knitting group and did most of the second sleeve later that night at home. This was followed by no knitting for 2 days, and then a final surge of knitting late Friday night. I blocked it and left it in a room with the ceiling fan turned on; I checked on it compulsively! It was finally ready 1-1/2 hours before my party this past Saturday. Whew! Just made it!


I made a few changes to the gauge and construction of the sweater. Also, I brought the neckline up so that it was not off the shoulders. I do not like to fuss with clothes after I put them on. At parties, I'm too consumed with running around after my 2-year-old and making sure she does not get her sleeves into her food, and so I have no time to think about whether my own sleeves are dangling at just the right angle from my shoulders. This was a good, practical decision, but it did mean that I ended up sacrificing some of the charm of the sweater, I think. In any event, you can find more details in the gallery and on Ravelry.

I'd love to chat some more, but I've got to go and see if I can get going on a second Christmas stocking. It's gonna be another nail-biter!

7 comments:

  1. Great sweater, and GREAT styling! Congrats on finishing just under the wire :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very elegant! and I love the ribbon belt :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's positively beautiful! The "belt" is the perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sweater is beautiful! I absolutely love it. Your outfit is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful sweater, and I must agree with everyone about the belt! It adds such elegance to the outfit. Great Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the whole outfit. You really have the knack on putting it together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that and it goes great with that skirt! And the belt is the topper! Great! Who is the skirt made by? I always fall for those. I bet noone could believe you made the sweater.

    ReplyDelete