Thursday, July 16, 2009

Compare & Contrast

I remember doing an experiment in middle school in which we had to submerge our right hands into some fairly hot water and our left hands into some icy cold water. After a minute or so, we pulled our hands out and held both ends of a metal pipe at room temperature. To our warm right hands, the pipe felt cold, but to our cold left hands, the pipe felt warm. It's all relative, right?

I made the Akomeogi top using Louet Euroflax, and it was my first time using that yarn. My washed swatch, along with everything I'd read, helped me believe that the fabric would eventually get softer, but it was pretty tough working with that yarn on size 2's. I could only do short spurts at a time, and then I'd have to take a break and work on something else. By comparison, the other yarns I was using--Cascade 220 for Henrietta, Kathmandu DK for my husband's cardigan, and even Cotton Glace for Anemone--felt sooooo soft and luxurious! Since I was doing stranded colorwork with the Cascade 220, there were 2 layers, and it felt incredibly plushy and cloud-like, comparable to the best, fluffiest cashmere, LOL!

But just as the brain picks up on contrast, it can also learn to accommodate. By the time I made my way about 4" into the body of Akomeogi, I was getting used to the yarn, and I could work on it for longer periods of time. I felt I was making good progress, when I suddenly encountered a contrast that I could not ignore:


Yup, those would be 2 different colors of yarn. The cones shipped together and were individually wrapped in plastic. And no, I did not open them both up to check when I first got them. I was so anxious to start that I just opened up the first cone and away I went. When I finally thought to unwrap the second cone, I was crestfallen. I had already done about 8" of the body, but I had to stop--there was no point in going on if I couldn't get matching yarn. The store I ordered from was really great and eventually got me what I needed, but it took some time, and the project hibernated till the second yarn arrived. If I hadn't been doing this as a KAL with Sylphette (Rav link), I would have completely lost steam at that point. But thankfully, her progress helped inspire me to keep going, and now here's the result:



You can get all the excruciating details on Ravelry and in the gallery if you want them. I'm happy with this project and am now undeterred by the yarn. In fact, I am thinking about buying some more today for Vesper (Rav link) if my LYS has the color I want.

15 comments:

  1. That looks fab on you! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That pleating looks so intricate. What a fantastic FO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew! So glad they had the right color available to you. The FO looks great! I have my eye on both Akomeogi and Vesper but it will be a while before I can knit them. I'll have to live vicariously through you! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great! I love that you added waist shaping. I made a skirt out of Euroflax and the pattern said that the yarn, "is a dream to knit up". That yarn totally hurt! I've heard you can skein and wash it before knitting, but I'm awfully lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's beautiful!! I hope you feel it's well worth the effort. love the pearl buttons, and the waist shaping makes this a much more attractive sweater than the original. Great job!!

    - Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so beautiful! Totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's really beautiful. It's more beautiful than the one in the magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That looks better than the original :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! I had been thinking about making that but was going back and forth on whether or not I should, but your version makes me really want to have one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is absolutely gorgeous! It's so much more inspiring than the one in the original pattern. Bully for you for powering through the yarn problem!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, another stunner! Love your modifications. I'm glad you fought through the pain for this one--your sacrifice was a great service to the knitting world. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great! I love your mods :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! I'm glad you were able to get more of the right color of yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  14. French Connection (Ravelry)Aug 16, 2009, 4:40:00 PM

    Absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete