Friday, March 19, 2010

Convertible

Knitting is such an investment of time and energy that it's always nice when what you're knitting is something versatile that you can get a lot of use out of. In December, I had finished Winding Path by Twinkle (a.k.a. Wenlen Chia). The thing that excited me about this design was that it could be worn upside down! (And also inside out, if you're not too particular about exposed seams and yarn ends)




Sadly, I had some issues with the Spud & Chloe Outer that I used--a lot of pilling and some bleeding of the red color. Others have used that same yarn with success, so maybe I got unlucky or maybe the loose gauge increased the propensity for pilling. More info is in the gallery (which I've finished updating) and on Ravelry. Even though the sweater itself did not entirely work out, I still love the concept and may make it again using different yarn.

I'm now working on another convertible project. I love the Chic Cables and Lace Cowl Neck Sweater by SweaterBabe. I adore huge cowls; I think they're sassy, sexy, and comfy. But I live in Texas and wearing a large cowl can mean risking heat stroke for most of the year. Then, I saw this version by Yantarik (Rav link). She had the brilliant idea of making the cowl detachable! I'm making mine just a little bit different, but I'm borrowing the idea.




I haven't quite decided yet how I'll attach the cowl, or whether it really needs to be attached at all, but I think it's going to work out. The only thing I don't like is how the neckline ribbing flares out. I should have used a needle size or two smaller.


The proper thing to do would be to cut it off from the cast-on edge and reknit the ribbing. What makes me worried is that I transitioned to short-row shaping for the neck right after the ribbing ends, and I'm afraid it's going to be one big mess. If I can get a lifeline position properly, though, I will probably do it.

5 comments:

  1. both sweaters look amazing on you! I love the idea of the detachable cowl for the second one, that's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how cool--i was really intrigued by the idea of that winding path sweater, and yours looks just as nice as the book version! i'm wary of Twinkle patterns now, though... once bitten, twice shy.
    the removable cowl on the second one is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. for some reason the idea of wearing a sweater upside down, and having it look good, really confused me. not sure why! I guess I didn't get how the arms were in the right place or something. yours looks great!

    and I love the idea of a removable cowl. could you pick out the cast on and just rip the ribbing bit and knit back up? that way you don't mess with the short rows? or are the short rows in the ribbing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both sweaters, too! Maybe you can view the bleeding red as a special design feature :)
    Your detachable cowl sweater is looking beautiful! I hope you're able to fix the back-neck flare so that you're happy with it. I'm thinking that you don't necessarily need to unravel the entire ribbing - maybe you could leave a row or two as a buffer and start there with a smaller needle?

    ReplyDelete