Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Long and Short of It

I was this close to finishing the Swirl Skirt for my 6-year-old daughter, but I had to rip it all the way back. When I knit for myself, I'm constantly trying things on as I go along so that I can make adjustments if necessary. I was not conscientious about having my little girl try on this skirt--partly because I usually knit after the kids have gone to bed--and it ended up being way too short. Since it's knit side to side, there was no way to add enough extra length to it, so I started over.

The good news is that it gave me a chance to try a new technique. The skirt requires short rows, and the first time around, I used the Japanese short row technique. This time, I remembered that I had Pinned something about German short rows (via Julie). This is supposed to give the same result as Japanese short rows, but it is much easier to execute because you don't have to mark any stitches. I love it! Now, I have to say I don't achieve quite as nice of a look as the Japanese version, but the ease of this technique makes up for it.


In case you haven't seen German short rows yet, here are some videos from the always-helpful Roxanne.



Has anyone else tried this? What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. I can completely relate (& empathize) as I, too, just frogged a top that I was knitting for my daughter! It's a little heartbreaking but well worth doing especially when the yarn is so lovely ... and after all our hard work, it would be a shame for our girls to not wear the darn knits! I haven't seen this video and I have a few short- row projects in mind so I'll be sure to try this out! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I would have slapped a "foldover yoga waistband" or some such on there and called it a day! 'Cause she's going to grow too! At least you got to mess around with some new techniques ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was originally going to add a waistband and thought about just making it longer, but it would have had to be *much* longer, and I thought it wouldn't look right.

      That's okay. It's a fun and relaxing project to knit, so I don't mind that much.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for posting the video links. I've never tried that method, but I think I will definitely give it a go the next time I need short rows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I have never heard of it, but I just pinned it too for future reference. Now, if I can just remember I pinned it.

    ReplyDelete