Saturday, June 26, 2010

Shades of Gray

Last month, I read Going Gray by Anne Kreamer. It's about her decision to stop coloring her hair and what she learns in the process. Well, I've been getting gray hairs for years (you can see one in the post about my doily earrings), and obviously they'll just be getting more common and noticeable, but so far, I've decided not to dye. I've been on the lookout for like-minded women, so it piqued my interest to see the previews for Rowan 48. There are 2 older models, one of whom has almost white hair (check out the Angelica Cardigan). Also, check out Berroco's Booklet #299. Good to see!

6 comments:

  1. i've been "lucky" that i've only had a few strands of gray here and there...but i don't think i'll ever dye it...i've always been pretty low maintenance hairstyle wise, so i just can't see my self doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing any woman proudly wearing her gray or white hair - especially longer, or in a chic bob maybe. I've had a couple white hairs, and I so hope to be one of those woman with a beautiful mane of undyed hair worn with style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for blazing the trail and validating my desire to go gray too!

    The few times in the past when I braved the hair coloring experience, only to realize that as it grew out, I'd need to decide again whether to re-color or highlight.

    I'd rather buy yarn than hair color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have salt/pepper hair (still more pepper than salt for now). If it gets completely gray, I might get a "reverse highlight" where some color is put back in, but leaving it with some gray. The way I figure it, I've earned every one of my gray hairs! I do get my hair cut every 4 weeks, but other than that, I'm pretty low maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Ravelry knitter that I think is about the most beautiful on the site: "larisa." (I know that you know her, of course!) She is so elegant & has great bone structure & but also rocks her white-silver bob.

    Your hair is so lovely, of course! I love silver streaks. Very foxy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had my first gray hairs shortly after high school. Pulled them out until sometime in my 30s, when I realized if I kept it up I'd eventually be bald. Now I am 60 and, amazingly, my hair is still mostly brown. The gray looks like highlighting (or so I keep telling myself).

    ReplyDelete