Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Highlights

The ladies at my LYS turned me on to using highlighter tape to keep my place in patterns. I *love* it! I've used a magnetic board before, but it's cumbersome and not as portable. I've also tried using Post-Its but they don't stick very well after a while and tend to dislodge when the pattern is jostled against something else in the kniting bag. Oh yes, and I used to also make a personal photocopy of the pattern and then mark out the steps that I did as I got to them. That worked okay, except I'd have to keep taking the copies in and out of the plastic sleeves I store them in. Plus, if I was doing a chart that repeated, I'd end up marking off each row with a pencil and then erasing the pencil marks when it was time to repeat! So yeah, this stuff is way better.

I've had Juno Regina sitting in my car for months while I plodded through the mindless middle section, a few rows at a time during lines at drive-thrus and carpool pickup. When it came time to get back to the charts, I finished it off in a few days with the help of some handy-dandy highlighter tape. More pictures and details are in the Gallery and on Ravelry.


Speaking of highlights, Carolyn tagged me for a meme, so here a few highlights about me:

ACCENT: A bit Valley at times, though I've never ever lived in the Valley.

BREAKFAST OR NO BREAKFAST: Usually breakfast, but I don't pretend that it's always healthy.

CHORE I DON'T CARE FOR: Ironing.

DOG OR CAT: Neither.

ESSENTIAL ELECTRONICS: Laptop and iPhone.

FAVORITE COLOGNE: That stuff they spray all over Abercrombie & Fitch.

GOLD OR SILVER: Silver.

HANDBAG I CARRY MOST OFTEN: One I got at Target!

INSOMNIA: All the time--I'm naturally a night owl

JOB TITLE: She Who Has a Great Job She Loves ;-)

KIDS: 2

LIVING ARRANGEMENTS: House

MOST ADMIRABLE TRAITS: I listen and keep other people's secrets really well

NAUGHTIEST CHILDHOOD BEHAVIOR: I was a latchkey kid and used to use the electric stove (the kind with coils that heat up) to burn the edges of paper. I thought it looked so romantic writing pretend letters with them. In retrospect, I'm lucky I didn't end up burning down the house!

OVERNIGHT HOSPITAL STAY: Just for deliveries.

PHOBIAS: No true phobias, but I'm not very fond of creepy crawlies.

QUOTE: "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present." — Oogway in Kung Fu Panda

REASON TO SMILE: Too many to list!

SIBLINGS: 2

TIME I WAKE UP: 6:40 AM, after having pressed snooze once.

UNUSUAL SKILL OR TALENT: Double-jointed in some of my fingers

VEGETABLE I REFUSE TO EAT: Brussel sprouts. Sorry.

WORST HABIT: Furrowing my eyebrows all the time. I'm gonna need botox!

YUMMY STUFF: Almost anything on a dessert menu and/or fried. I'm bad.

ZOO ANIMAL I LIKE MOST: Sea otters.

9 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of that little trick with the highlighter tape- I'm going to try that, for sure! Thanks for the tip!

    - Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, your Juno Regina is lovely. I'm not surprised at all. I may have to purchase some of that highlighted tape myself. I am in total agreement with your dislike for brussel sprouts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it looks lovely! Motivation for me to get moving on the one languishing on my coffee table :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Juno Regina looks beautiful! Mmm, desserts and fried foods, my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how your job title goes with your admirable trait - I'd say it's a perfect fit!

    I too love highlighter tape - and it's perfect when used with sheet protectors. If you're a diehard fan, you'll have more than just one color of highlighter tape.

    LOVE your Juno!

    (I actually smelled a new cologne in Hollister the other day - it's dreamy!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your juno is beautiful!

    And I think I just might have to buy me some of that highlighter tape!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been looking for highlighter tape everywhere! Never thought to look on Amazon, doh!

    Your Juno is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic Juno Regina! I have to admit, after dismissing it the first time around, you have me giving this pattern a serious second look.

    I adore this colour, and it's so beautifully knit.

    Highlighter tape, what a great tip! Thanks for passing it along.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for that suggestion! I've been using post-its which work ok but they're not perfect. I think I'll give this a try.

    ReplyDelete