The pattern calls for the shawl-like collar to be knit in 2 pieces. You're supposed to start at the center of the back and knit down from there. This would have meant that on the left side of the collar, my wonky stitch would be hidden when I seamed it, but on the right side of the collar, it would have remained visible. After I knit and sewed on the left side of the collar, I decided to knit the right side of the collar from the bottom up instead of the top down. I had to reverse the shaping, and this took more concentration, but in the end, it was worth it for me because I could again hide the less attractive end stitches into the seaming.
So finally, I have finished my Nespelem! Yay!
More pictures are on Ravelry.